Hon. Walter F. McLean P.C., LL.D. , D.D.
Walter believes that commitment and conviction need to be lived out in day to day life. He has put his professional career and resources on the line on numerous occasions in service to causes and community.
Walter founded Franklin Consulting (parent company to McLean and Associates) as a vehicle to combine his extensive life experiences and public service in offering visionary and insightful advice to both public and private sector clients. He has experience as a Public Sector leader who has worked at the local, provincial, national and international level. He uses this experience to facilitate community, business and organizational needs.
During his distinguished career, Walter has served as Minister of Knox Presbyterian Church, Alderman on Waterloo City Council and as a Member of Parliament from 1979-1993. In the Canadian cabinet, he was Secretary of State for Canada, Minister Responsible for the Status of Women and Minister of Immigration.
For 8 years he was, as Parliamentary Delegate, a member of Canada’s Delegation to the United Nations General Assembly in New York. During this period he served as the Prime Minister’s Representative for Africa and Commonwealth Affairs…championing Canada’s anti-apartheid campaign. Early in his career he was a co-founder of Canadian University Service Overseas (CUSO) and served in West Africa as CUSO’s Nigerian field director. A co-founder of the Canadian Centennial’s “Miles for Millions Walks” in 1967, he then designed and marketed the province-wide Centennial celebration in Manitoba in 1970 as Executive Director of the Manitoba Centennial Corporation.
Since leaving parliament in 1993, Walter has:
- Developed international programs for a Health Insurance and Benefits company
- Marketed real estate investment opportunities
- Facilitated an Asian joint venture partnership for a manufacturing company
- Coordinated an I.T. company’s use of government trade programs
- Assisted a western venture capital firm to enter the southwestern Ontario market
- Implemented a multi-million dollar not-for-profit conflict settlement agreement
- Chaired a charitable Trust
- Organized two national citizenship programs
- Introduced an Interim Executive Management company to several regions
- Acted as Honourary Consul in Canada for an African state
- Advised a Mining Company President and Chair on Social Responsibility
- Advised an Engineering and Planning Company
- Served on the Board of a Canadian Junior Oil Exploration Company
Walter holds a B.A. from the University of British Columbia, a M. Div. from Knox College and University of Toronto. He holds Honourary Doctorates from Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Toronto and has received numerous other awards and recognitions, including the 2012 “Distinguished Service Award” of the Canadian Association of Former Parliamentarians. He is married to Barbara who is the administrative officer of McLean and Associates. They have four sons and ten grandchildren.
Connect with Walter today and get your business on the right path. Call Walter at 519-584-1055 or Email Walter at email@example.com